Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 

It's oh so quiet...

Good Morning. It's Tuesday morning and not too much is doing. I thought I'd take a few moments and post an update.

Once the games have started and we are "on-the-air", things start to settle down for me. There are a couple of reasons for this:

I was here for over a months before the games started, there was plenty of time to get familiar with the venues, compounds, and how to get there.
People know me and has asked for assistance instead of me chasing down problems.
I've become better at asking for what I know that I need (regardless how big the problem is).
People are better at responding to my requests because they understand what I am trying to do.

Here's a good example of asking for something big...

One of our compounds was a major problem due to poor preparation by the host, slow contractors, and a lot of rain and snow. As a result there were some pretty pissed-off people who were saying it was totally unnaceptable. They were right. (Someone said it looked like Max Yasgur's farm after Woodstock, he was right too.)

After some very basic measuring and drawing, I estimagted that we needed about 85 sq meter of planks and a dump truck full of gravel. I figured that I would submit my report/drawings and who ever said "NO" could deal with the people who had to live with the muck and mess.

The next morning, this is what I saw at 8 am.





I was pretty shocked.

Several hours later, the compound was finished.







I didn't build it. I'm not taking credit for it...but it was a good result.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?