Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

The work side of things...

Good morning. I thought I'd take some time to outline what I actually do with the Olympics group. As I you may have heard me say before; working for NBC at the Athens games was the hardest I've ever had to work yet the most fun I've ever had working. Sounds a bit cliché but true.

This time (in Torino), will likely be more of the same. So far it's more fun because of the group that I'm sitting/working with: Venue Operations. Venue Ops is made up of 5 permanent NBC Olympics employees, 1 Intern and a Runner. They work their asses (sp?) off and have a great time. I'm very lucky to be stuck with them. (Or are they stuck with me?)

It will be more work (not too bad yet) because I am much more integrated in the overall operations of the entire business. I am being brought in to more meetings, asked for my opinion on more issues and more people know who I am am/why I'm there.

Just like in my regular job, I report through the "operations" segment of the business, but need to support all functions (engineering, production etc.). So I'm used to that. My manager (Sr. VP of Ops) is a big supporter which makes it easier to get people's attention and get things done. This is mainly due to the fact that my manager has made it very clear to other VP's & Directors why I am on-site. (I am getting a lot fewer people saying: "are you that safety guy from GE?" than I did in Athens.)

So what do I do, other than visit venues and take pictures of cool stuff?

Alright. That's enough for now. I'd love to post some pictures of the dodgy (sp?) stuff that I have seen, but it might not be such a good idea to share them on the internet. :)

jay


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?