Thursday, January 12, 2006

 

Not much to report

Until today, life here has been pretty quiet.  Some work to do, but certainly not loads. 

Today we had our first Operations meeting (my dept.) and I was able to hear about open issues from about 20 people in attendance.  Everything form accreditation, staging, catering, staffing etc. etc. etc.  When it was all said and done, I had a page worth of notes/questions/things to follow-up.

Lots of issues with fall protection (for work over 1 m without railings), emergency exits, accomodation readiness, accidents (nothing major happily) and contractors smoking inside.  The good news is that the overall condition of the IBC is much better than in Athens.  This place is simply built better.  Better construction quality with a little bit of natural light makes a world of difference.

Tomorrow (Friday) will be my first tour of the venues.  We are going to the mountains to get a quick look at each location.  I have no idea how we will get it done in just one day as there is a lot of ground to cover.  Monday we will be doing a venue tour at the "city" venues.  This would seem to indicate that I have the weekend off.  Not true.  Saturday will likely be a full day (just 8 hours) and I am going to try to take Sunday off (or mostly off).  No one gets a day off, so I don't feel bad about it.

The price gouging has begun.  There is a cafeteria ("auto grill") in the IBC, so I decided to check it out with some people from our catering department as our Commissary is not open yet.  Wow.  I paid 16 EUR ($19 USD) for soup, salad, cheese and prusciutto.  Good lord.  The worst part is that it wasn't very good.  Oh well.  I have been living pretty cheaply until today.

I will hopefully have some photos to post tomorrow.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?